Monday, March 24, 2014

The Catlins


I'm surprised that The Catlins aren't more of a "must-see" here in New Zealand! I suppose it is quite a lot of driving but you see so many natural wonders! My time here has allowed me to appreciate natural beauty. I am thankful for the conservation efforts here in NZ that have allowed myself and following generations the ability to see and experience these remarkable landscapes Mother Earth has crafted. The dedication put forth by environmentalists and citizens to preserve the pristine views does not go unnoticed. Over the duration of my trip I could not help but notice how there is a understood respect for these beautiful places, you will not find graffiti, garbage, or destruction of any kind. The pictures I am about to show you do not give NZ the justice it deserves! I can't wait to see what else she has to offer...



 
Nugget Point


You can't see them, but down on the rocks are a bunch of fur seals!



 
 
The Lighthouse

 
Kaka Point

 
Jack's Blowhole. I don't think the waves and/or tide was high enough to produce the "blow hold" factor we were hoping for. The cave you see to the back is a tunnel that leads to the coastline.

I've never been geocaching before, but I came across this one near Jack's Blowhole. Such a neat concept!

Purakaunui Falls

Purakaunui Bay Campsite
 
Slope Point car park
Notice how strong the winds are from the trees
Most southern point on the south island (Stewart Island is farther south, and then there is ANTARCTICA )
 

The rarest breed of penguins--yellow eyed. Saw this little thing at Curio Bay, amongst the petrified forest.

Curio Bay
Cathedral Caves

Excited about New Zealand's beauty. (Carina, Abbie, Noelle, myself, and Melissa)
McLean Falls
I could get used to this life
Breakfast of champions
Horseshoe Falls
Matai Falls
Just the strangest thing...
Surat Bay

Cannibal Bay. We saw a ton of fur seals, some were even fighting right on the beach. Unfortunately, I only have video.
Tunnel Hill. This was a man made tunnel for a railroad that is no longer in service. It was really cool to go through with and without a head lamp.
We stopped on our way home to treat ourselves. This never tasted so good!
What a great experience this was! So much beauty along the southern coast, it's unbelievable.

 
 
CHEERS!

CA